Tuesday, January 9, 2007

pathRez

Here's an experiment with laying down prim segments in complex 3-dimensional paths, as smoothly as possible, with minimal gaps between segments. Why? I have no idea.

I'm not sure if it has any possible practical use. Shrunk down with tiny tortured prims, this could make a very complex backing as a setting for jewelry, but it'd be rather prim-expensive.

First test case was a 153-prim "thing" made of a 3-dimensionalized curve that I think is a Lissajous curve.

From above, it's moderately simple looking, but from other views, it's kind of cool how the path intertwines. Well, at least I think so.





Incidentally, in order to have the segments touch nicely end-to-end, a serious amount of computation needs to be done. It's basically a monstrous increase over the computation of spacing things evenly around an ellipse. Although it could be done entirely in LSL, I don't want to grow old(er) while it's computing, so I off-loaded the computation to be done outside of SL, and then feed the results into the SL script for rezzing the object.